Friday, February 10, 2012

I've got someone for you (Part 1)

Last month I read a fascinating autobiography of an Englishman who converted to Buddhism and ordained as a monk here in Thailand.  While giving me a very valuable window into the Thai culture, especially Thai Buddhism, this book ("Phra Farang:  An English Monk in Thailand") also highlighted some of the major differences between following the way of the Buddha and serving the risen King, the God-man, the atonement for sin, and the image of the invisible God, Jesus.  In this passage, Phra Peter Pannapadipo (the author) describes a period of despair and uncertainty as a monk in Thailand, and as he gazes on the image of the Buddha, has these thoughts:
It was childish and illogical, I knew, but at that moment I didn't want him to have been just a man.  I wanted him to be God.  I needed him to be God.  I needed a cosmic shoulder to cry on.  I didn't have the strength to 'be my own refuge', as he had taught.  I needed something else, someone else, to whom I could bow down and pray; from whom I could beg for help, or guidance, or forgiveness, or sactuary.  I didn't have the courage or strength to travel this path alone. (p. 234)

I could not believe my eyes.  This man had very sincerely and honestly described Jesus.  That which he wished the Buddha could be, Jesus was and is, and is so much more!  I remember putting down the book as my mind flooded with Scripture about our Jesus...the One who is the Word made flesh (John 1:1-14), the image of the invisible God (Col. 1:15-19), the God-man (Phil. 2:5-11), the Great Refuge for the weary, weak and wayward (Matt. 11:28-30; Ps. 2:10-13), the divine King to whom we bow and pray (John 12:41; Phil. 2:11; Rev. 19), and the One who will never leave or forsake us, who walks with us on the path, and who will bring us all the way home before the dark (John 13-17; Matt. 28:19; Romans 8:28-39).

Jesus truly is incomparable.

No comments:

Post a Comment