Friday, January 28, 2011

Prayer with conviction...


I'm team-teaching through the book of Philippians at Redeemer this semester, so obviously, I'm thinking about its themes a lot. I've really been stunned lately by 1:19,
...for I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance...(ESV)
I was talking with a brother at RTS a few days ago and we were lamenting the fact that arguments are more common than prayer at seminary. It is very easy to get caught up in a debate about something that this guy is for and that guy is against, but there aren't many people talking about their prayer life. This was a convicting conversation...and it made me realize that I rarely pray with the conviction that Paul did. Maybe if I believed my theology more firmly I would actually pray with more conviction that God will move. Paul (and many others since....so, no, this isn't just for Apostles) prayed like he believed God would move.

What if I prayed more fervently that God would move in Thailand? Or that He would bring revival to the American Church? Or that our support needs would be met? Or...that I would simply see Jesus more clearly?

No comments:

Post a Comment