Sunday, July 4, 2010

4th family brownies

This doesn't feel like the 4th of July.... I don't know what is different this year, but I feel very a-partiotic. Not unpatriotic, but kind of disconnected to this holiday. Maybe this is the beginning of moving to Thailand. This isn't our last 4th of July in the states but pretty much every holiday after this one is going to be the last one at home for at least three years and maybe forever.
So being at home with family and our church family is going to be nice for today and the rest of the week--even if Dr. Hurley's last class assignments are still looming over my head. But what a weird thought... after this Christmas, I will be spending Christmas in a tropical country wearing shorts and running the AC without a Christmas tree or any of the normal trappings. Or our families.
Family is one of the biggest sacrifices we will make as missionaries. There is a lot that we take for granted about family and it hasn't quite hit home (seeing as I am laying in bed in my childhood room typing this) but as for what I will miss most, it might be the comfort being a part of a family, especially if we ever have kids.
Speaking of family, my mom just brought up the brownie batter bowl for me to lick. I am going to stop typing now so that my keyboard doesn't get all sticky.

2 comments:

  1. Family is the toughest thing for me too. The team there very much has become my other family. Enjoy every moment home though. It does feel like a countdown in many ways, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. the 4th in Thailand is kind of sad, especially when you find yourself on the roof of your building with a great view of the city and know that if you were ANYWHERE in the states you would be watching fireworks...

    ReplyDelete